Sunday 26 August 2012

A Hairy Decision!

In an attempt to keep my hair in good condition (and get it back into good condition as well) I am going to stop straightening the crap out of it!
Long story short, my hair got really bad back in May, the ends were dead and literally snapped off! After thinking it was my sheer blonde shampoo & conditioner, I bought an expensive set from Loreal Kerastase, which helped but not enough. Then I realised that it was because I was not letting it get greasy by using dry shampoo. So I stopped using the dry shampoo, and went back to using the sheer blonde shampoo. Apparently hair needs to be left to get a little greasy and washed no more than twice a week to maintain its condition.
After a while, my hair went back to a decent condition and after getting it cut, the ends stopped snapping off.
Now, I’ve decided that I want to let it grow, now that the shape it’s cut in will allow me to. I see lots of girls with great hair, and their hair is not always dead straight. It’s long, natural, flowy and wavey. My hair has a natural wave, it has a few weird kinks, but after a while it drops a little leaving it manageable and sort of nice looking. I’ve started to now only straighten my fringe and the underneath of my hair, which is where the majority of the kinks are, and leave the shorter layers. It feels nice to go half natural, and I’m looking forward to seeing the difference when it grows longer.




Which leads me to a dilemma. Kelp. Hair Kelp/Sea Kelp – I’m not entirely sure what it’s called but it’s some sort of Kelp. I hear that it helps hair grow longer and stronger and faster. This sounds amazing, and after researching into it a little more, I read that it has more health benefits. It contains iodine, something that your thyroid needs a lot of to help the body’s metabolism. It contains other things that are good for skin and cell growth, and alkaline, which helps digestion.
What I’m worried is, as great as this wonder supplement sounds, will it make the body start relying on it? Like with sleeping tablets, you’re not supposed to use them often as the body will rely on the serotonin (?) from the  tablets and stop making enough on its own for you to ever to be able to sleep naturally without them.
What I want to know is, will the kelp make the body stop making its own iodine and start relying on the iodine from the kelp tablets? Also, this may sound like a stupid question, but will it make all body hair grow strong, thick and fast? I don’t want to start taking it, finding only a week later my legs and underarms covered in long, thick black hair!
If anyone out there reading this takes them and knows the answers from a personal point of view, then please, answer my questions! I don’t want to spend £10 or so on tablets that are actually worse off in the long run, and come to have to continue taking for the rest of my life!
I would really appreciate it, thank you!

No comments: