Saturday 17 September 2011

Getting Back into Fitness!!


I was reading this post http://justjenslife.blogspot.com/2011/07/fitness-friday-food-shopping.html  that was on this amazing site http://forblogs.blogspot.com/2011/03/get-fit-healthy-style-group.html. It has occurred to me that I really can’t follow things through. I started a 30 day story challenge a month or 2 ago, and I only managed to get to story 4. I started a list, similar to the one mentioned in Jennifer March's blog, which I would revise every week, and see if I had completed the goals on the list. I haven’t done that for a while. It seems like my personal life is a serious of stop-start projects that never seem to end. As a “professional”, I find it so easy at work to start something, and see it right through to the end. I hate starting something and then getting interrupted by a phone call or email that stops me from completing the task quickly and effectively! But, as you do, I manage to adapt. I can handle it quite well now. And it even seems to be seeping into my personal life too! 

For example, going to the gym.  When I first started, I was going twice a week or so. Then I eventually stopped due to holidays etc. Then I started again this week, and twice. I was just doing my thing, how I like to exercise and stuff, when I was interrupted by the thought that I had to have my last free personal trainer session. So I booked it for the next day. The next day came, and, my god, it was intense! I did a warm up on the cross-trainer, which is the best way to warm up apparently, as it works out your whole body. The personal trainer made me run for about 10 minutes nonstop, which was awful, as I don’t do that when I’m on my own and then he made me do circuit training. This made me feel sick. I had to do a 30 second spin on the highest resistance on the bike, then box jumps on and off of a aerobic step up board, then 12 sit ups with a 12kg medicine ball, then 12 power squats, then onto a weird machine that’s like a bike for the hands, and then back onto the bike for a final 15 second spin. I did this 3 times. Then we moved onto core exercising which I love! I recommend circuit training, because it is sooo so soo good for you.  I suggest getting a personal trainer or join a class, to help get started. I am definitely going to sign up to a class, even though after the personal trainer session made me feel awful initially, I did feel great when I ate and had a rest. I’m hoping to go at least 3 times a week, and do a class on of those days.
It feels really good to take control of that aspect of life, or even any aspect. Life is so uncontrollable; taking the reins on a small part really can make you feel good.
I'm hoping to keep this as an ongoing thing, so if I was to make a list, it would be to go to the gym at least 3 times a week. 
Oh, by the way, relating it back to the whole interrupting thing; I was able let a personal trainer interrupt my usual way of working out, and adapt to it, so that now, I can incorporate what he taught me into my normal gym session. Does that make sense? Probably not!  

No comments: